Sunday, October 20, 2013

A New Post

As I'm sitting here waiting to start painting the upstairs room, I thought I would make a post on this old site of mine.  Looks like it's been three years!  My, how time flies.

Last night, Dalton and I made the trek down to PLU to hang out with some Choir of the West Alumni.  It has been almost 10 years (10 years!!) so we decided it was time for a little reunion.  These were people that were such a giant part of my life - and Dalton's.  In fact, we met in choir and our first date was on choir tour so it has had a big impact in our life besides just having great friends and memories.

It was amazing how easy it was to just slide back into how things were.  Old jokes came back, old stories came out and our interactions all just seemed to ease back into place exactly as they were.  Except for the fact that many of them now have children and completely different lives.  We all decided after we laughed and ate and drank at a pizza parlor down the street from PLU that was occupying a block that used to be an old thrift store, we decided to walk to the campus and look around.  This was the best part in my opinion.  Walking around campus with many of these people and seeing the (mostly) familiar sites and smells and sounds of PLU almost, for just a minute or two, felt like we had never left.  Things had certainly changed but a lot was the same.  Ordal, one of my old dorms, still smelled like burnt popcorn, the scratches on my dorm room door were still there - just a different name on the door.  The Cave was still stupidly closed on a Saturday night at 10pm (I never understood that), the music building still had the beautiful glass flowers in the windows.

The grass was a little taller and thicker in the amphitheater - we all noticed that, the UC was enormously different, same floor plan and general structure but much cooler and bigger on the inside (they can thank our money for that!), the dorms and all buildings now had a card scanner you needed to have to get into the buildings.  Thankfully, I'm not shy about tapping on the windows annoyingly until somebody came out to let us in...the old Eastvold auditorium had had a complete overhaul so we went in and it was completely different.  I stood at the front and looked back towards where the balcony had been and could remember what that vantage point used to look like.  The Coffee Shop, the place where I spent at least 10 hours a week working, no longer exists.  In it's place are classrooms and asking students on campus about the Coffee Shop just brought blank stares.  The Bistro, another place I worked, also does not exist anymore.  The seniors were 12 when I was a senior.

I'm getting older.  Last night was just one more example of that fact.  But somehow, it was so easy to be back there and to feel those old college feelings of days that I loved.  It's hard to believe it's been 10 years. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home